Tongue and groove boards have been a well-loved design choice for generations of homeowners. The warmth and charm of natural wood adds character and interest that many find irresistible. What’s more, there are so many ways to work this easy planking system into your plans. Choose the ceiling, or the floor. Choose a single, or multiple walls. Apply it to the upper or lower parts of a room. It’s even perfect for outdoor applications like patios, decks, porches and siding.
Popular uses for tongue and groove
- Walls. A feature wall or an entire room. Wainscot the lower half, or only do the upper half. Install the boards vertically or horizontally to add the dimension of your choice to any room or hallway.
- Ceilings. Wood ceilings make a fantastic focal point. Choose from a number of high-quality woods including pine, fir, cedar and more.
- Floors. Structural tongue and groove boards come in in 2×6, 2×8, and sometimes 2×10 dimensions. These are perfect for cabin ceilings as well and can be left unfinished for a more natural or rustic look.
- Siding. This is an attractive and sturdy way to protect your home from the elements.
- Patios, decks and porches. Who doesn’t relish spending time outdoors on a wooden deck, enjoying the fresh air and sounds of nature?
- Horse stalls and barns.Consider using fir instead of pine to house horses. They don’t like it as much so will chew on it less. Your structures will last longer.
- Tiny homes. We make a thinner version to keep the weight down in tiny home builds. It comes in 5/16’ boards and can be installed directly over, or instead of, drywall.
Use tongue and groove boards as an easy way to build. Each board connects with the next through a long groove running down the middle of one side, and a tongue running down the length of the other side. Fit the tongue of one board into the groove of another and you will be well on your way to completing your dream project. Tongue and groove is absolutely a do-it-yourself building material as well.
Book an appointment to see our tongue and groove products and our lumber mill in person! We are located in Pincher Creek, Alberta. 403-627-8873
- How do quality wood mouldings impact your property’s value? - November 14, 2023
- On the craftsmanship behind wood mouldings and heritage siding - October 24, 2023
- A little history and evolution of wood mouldings - September 24, 2023